Toronto Catholic elementary school closed for COVID-19 investigation
The Canadian PressCOVID-19 Updates News K-12
The city's public health unit says it recommended the closure and will keep the community informed when a reopening date has been set
A Toronto Catholic elementary school with 11 COVID-19 cases has been temporary shut down on the recommendation of public health officials.
The Toronto Catholic District School Board says St. Francis Xavier school will be “temporarily dismissed” until further notice due to an “ongoing COVID-19 investigation.”
The city’s public health unit says it recommended the closure and will keep the community informed when a reopening date has been set.
The board’s website lists 11 active cases at the school, with the first infection confirmed late last month and the most recent over the weekend.
No details have been provided as to whether those cases involve any of the more contagious variants of the virus.
The latest provincial data show 734 of Ontario’s more than 4,800 schools are reporting at least one case of COVID-19, and 30 schools are currently closed due to outbreaks.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 9, 2021.
News from © Canadian Press Enterprises Inc. 2021
Print this page
Leave a Reply