Strong attendance for Vancouver-hosted IAHSS conference
By Brine Hamilton
The 49th Annual Conference and Exhibition for the International Association for Healthcare Security & Safety (IAHSS) was recently held in Vancouver, marking the first Canadian Conference since 2011 in Toronto.
By Brine Hamilton
The approximately 250 attendees from Canada and the U.S. represented the second highest attended program in the history of the conference. This year’s AC&E had the unique distinction of not only being in Canada but was also presided over by the association’s second consecutive Canadian President, Martin Green. The AC&E was also held in the home province of Immediate Past President Jeffrey Young, with strong Canadian participation and representation “proving once again, that our association is indeed international” in the words of Green.
Industry leaders, including 12 Canadians, delivered informative presentations on a wide range of relevant topics such as:
• “Fentanyl – A Public Health Crisis: The British Columbia Experience” presented by The Honourable Terry Lake, Minister of Health, British Columbia.
• Dan Birbeck, Captain, Patrol / Communications Divisions, Dallas County Hospital District Police Department delivered a powerful and emotional presentation, “Tragedy Strikes Dallas: Impact to Dallas County Hospital Districts” sharing his experience during the July 7, 2016 police shootings.
• Brendan Riley, MS, CHPA – Manager of Security, Lowell General Hospital discussed “The Creation and Evolution of a Secure Behavioral Health Unit” in a very informative session.
• “Active Shooter: Innovative Exercises to Transform Mitigation and Preparedness for Response and Recovery” was presented by Chau Vu, Christine Yee and Jordan Cathey of UCSF Health.
During the Annual General Meeting, board members discussed the Strategic Plan outlining the associations new developments and plans moving forward. The AGM also awarded eight new CHPAs after they completed their examination prior to the AC&E program. The AC&E concluded with the IAHSS Foundation Recognition Awards in which several of the Canadian attendees were among those recognized including:
- Don McAlister, Chief Operating Officer, Paladin Security Group Ltd. (Recipient of the Presidential Award)
- Trillium Health Partners, Mississauga Ontario (Recipient of the Lindberg Bell Award)
- Ontario Chapter of IAHSS (Recipient of the Chapter of Distinction)
- Troy Burrows and Joshua Parks, Paladin Security Group Ltd. (Medal of Merit)
Mark your calendars for the 50th Anniversary in Chicago, Ill. The 50th Annual Conference and Exhibition will take place April 15-18, 2018.
The International Association for Healthcare Security and Safety is the only organization solely dedicated to professionals involved in managing and directing security and safety programs in healthcare facilities. With more than 2,000 members, IAHSS is “The Trusted Authority in Healthcare Security and Safety.” For more information visit iahss.org.
Brine Hamilton, CHPA, is Supervisor, Security & Communications, Baycrest Health Sciences.