Police arrest man accused of making bomb threat that cancelled charity events
HALIFAX (CP) - Police have arrested a man in connection with a bomb threat that shut down a cancer fundraiser in Halifax earlier this month.
Const. Pierre Bourdages of Halifax Regional Police says they picked up the 42-year-old man Thursday after he was asked by a security guard to leave Mount Saint Vincent University.
Police allege that the man threatened the guard and then claimed he was responsible for calling police on June 7 to say a bombing similar to the one at the Boston Marathon would take place in Halifax.
Police did not find anything suspicious at the pay phone used to make the call, but organizers with cancer and arthritis groups decided to cancel their fundraising events.
Bourdages says police had received numerous tips that helped them identify the suspect after they released a recording of the call earlier this month.
Police say Edward Louis Shea of Halifax is facing charges of a hoax regarding terrorist activity, uttering threats and four counts of breaching court orders.