Goodale promises new system for kids on no-fly list
By The Canadian PressNews Transportation airline security airport security no fly list
MARKHAM, Ont. – Canada's no-fly list dominated the conversation at a public consultation Sunday on national security.
Cabinet ministers John McCallum, Ralph Goodale and Jane Philpott listened to citizens’ comments and recommendations at the event in a Markham, Ont., high school cafeteria.
And while the floor was open to discuss many different security issues, the no-fly list was mentioned more than any other topic. The issue came to public attention after a six-year-old boy, Adam Ahmed, was flagged as being on the no-fly list last year.
Public Safety Minister Goodale says there aren’t any actual children on the no-fly list, but some kids are flagged by having the same name as adults on the list.
Goodale has said there will be a new system, and on Sunday suggested his “abstract estimate” is that it would take 18 months to set up.
Several parents of children flagged by the no-fly list were at the consultation and told Goodale that 18 months is too long for their children to wait.
News from © Canadian Press Enterprises Inc. 2016
Print this page
Leave a Reply