Emergency Management Roundtable Preview
By StaffFeatures Photo Gallery brampton calian emergency management emergency management week emw george brown college markham ontario association of emergency managers
Canadian Security magazine recently hosted an Emergency Management roundtable to discuss some of the major issues affecting the field and the professionals who practice in it.
The panel included:
- Keith Melo, Emergency Management Program Coordinator, George Brown College
- Sonia Singh, Emergency Preparedness Coordinator, City of Markham, Ont.
- Alain Normand, Emergency Manager, City of Brampton, Ont.
- Douglas Grant, Emergency Management Consultant, Calian
- Tim Lindsay, Engagement Director, Ontario Association of Emergency Managers (OAEM)
- Neil Sutton, Editor, Canadian Security magazine (moderator)
Panelists discussed situations, ideas, technology and training affecting emergency management today. Among the major topics discussed: the role of dedicated EM tools versus paper-based and “conventional” technology (email groups, pdfs, word documents, etc.); the degree to which training (both college-based and on the job) has changed to meet the profession’s needs, the role of social media in notification, working with first responders, obtaining buy-in from stakeholders (internal and external), and much more.
Read the July/August issue of Canadian Security, coming next month, for more details, information and photos. Stay tuned to this website for video content from the roundtable.
Images: Sandra Strangemore
Print this page